- 6 ounces unsalted butter (i used salted, it really doesn't matter)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, halved lengthwise, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan (my pan is heart shaped tee hee) with unflavored cooking spray.
- Melt 1 stick of the butter and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter with the brown sugar over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Spread the butter-and-sugar mixture in the bottom of the prepared cake pan. Distribute the pineapple slices evenly over the mixture and set the pan aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a medium bowl, beat together the egg, milk and the reserved melted butter. Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until well combined; the batter will be thick. Using a rubber spatula, scoop the batter into the cake pan, spreading it until it reaches the sides of the pan.
- Bake the cake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for 15 minutes. (i know it's hard, you'll understand when you smell the smell, but you should actually wait, it gives the sugarbutter time to cool and harden into the yummy crust) Place a serving plate over the cake pan and invert. Slowly lift off the pan and serve.
completely irresistible. i'm not even kidding.